Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pesky Mountains

Sometimes I wonder if there is any limit to human narcissism. Book after book will tell you that we are the master species on this planet, but I won’t believe it until some of those books are written by the other species on this planet. I can bet you that ants don’t think us too organized, and owls think that we are down right noisy. It is for these reasons, and many many many more, that I just laugh when I read headlines like this one.



Who the hell do we think that we are telling something as ancient and stoic as a mountain that it has no right being right where it is? Scientists time and time again love to make these outlandish claims when something doesn’t exactly fit into their paradigm. It is the result of practicing science very incorrectly. I wish that I had my copy of Douglas Adams’ So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, because I think that a direct quote would be far more effective, but in lieu I will give you a general run down. In his book, Adams has a character who names himself Wonko the Sane. Why does he do this? The answer is a two-parter; First he understands that the only people who need to attach sane to their name must truly be insane. Second, Wonko is a scientist, and as a good one, he realizes that to understand the world scientifically you cannot possibly understand the world as a sane person would. All of the “sane” scientists, to Wonko, are doing science through too many preconceived filters. Filters that make them make preposterous claims about mountains not belonging where mountains belong.

On to the vids

This isn’t really WTF in fact it in many ways is a literal explanation of WTF, but given the reflexive nature of the universe I guess if you are attempting to define WTF then the definition itself becomes WTF….what am I saying, just watch it.


via videosift.com

Say what you will about Keytars, Lord knows that I have not been hesitant in the past, but the very thing that makes this video WTF is the fact that this is the least Keytar-esque Keytar performance that I have ever witnessed.


via videosift.com


CHALLENGE!!!

Tim Curry is generally a well respected actor in the world of film. I have noticed however that he will take what appears to be ANY role that comes his way. That is okay by me because it supplies me with today’s CHALLENGE!!! I fell about a minute short on my first attempt.


via videosift.com

No comments: