Monday, August 11, 2008

Watch out Bill Cosby…They Come in Threes(no, that is not a racist threat)

Stumbled across this headline…thought it was funny…thought that I would share.



Evidently it is not currently safe to go down south when you head north of the border these days. I am starting to wonder if it was because of this shocking revelation Isaac Hayes passed away this weekend, or perhaps he had some sort of suicide pact with Bernie Mac and was just a little slow to fulfill his end of the bargain. Too soon? Okay, okay that might have been in bad taste. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Hayes and Mac Families in their time of grief (or at least that is why I am going to say for the record). It’s the times when I make insensitive jokes like these that I start to realize how disposable society as a whole feels that celebrities are. Every year thousands of people clamber to places like Hollywood and New York just to attempt to make it into an industry where the ultimate resting place is obscurity. Take a moment and think about all of the movies and television you watch on a regular basis…I’ll wait take your time.

Okay, now that you have added all those hours up, think about how many hours of television and movies you are not watching…Once again, I’ll wait.

No no, don’t rush, I’m not going anywhere.

It’s a rather vast sum isn’t it? Within that vast sum lie hours and hours of television and movie time that statistically NO ONE is watching. Artists work just thrown to the jackals of obscurity. Even people who do make a name for themselves in the entertainment industry hardly get more attention than the unwatched actors do when their time is up. A classy headshot with their lifespan dates underneath, and some half hearted sentiment like “he was truly a genius, and he will be missed”, is the treatment most post-mortem celebs receive. Hell, even the ultimate pinnacle of success is generally only rewarded with a “Best of DVD Collection” that sits at the back of someone’s entertainment center collecting dust bunnies.

In closing I shall quote someone famous.

Fame is a fickle thing

And the fact that I have no idea who first said that just reinforces my argument further.


Even if the Governnator died today, we would be left with this gem at least.


via videosift.com

No comments: